75th Anniversary of Southern Westchester BOCES
Our history in pictures
A Brief History of Southern Westchester BOCES
By the end of World War II, it became clear in New York State that a regional educational delivery system was needed to provide services to students in rural areas. In April 1948 an intermediate school district bill was passed, leading to the formation of 11 cooperative boards at the request of local boards of education. On June 15, 1948, BOCES II, eventually to be known as Southern Westchester BOCES, was established.
The first meeting of BOCES II was held on September 16, 1948, with the following districts and common schools attending: Ardsley, Rye, Pocantico Hills, Hawthorne, Thornwood, Hartsdale, Greenburgh 7, Edgemont, Armonk, Harrison, and Mamaroneck.