Rye Lake Graduation, 2017
Principal Says School Year Was "an Exciting Ride with Ups and Downs"
Eight Students Graduate from Rye Lake High School
Congratulations to the eight students who graduated from Southern Westchester BOCES’ Rye Lake High School last month!
On graduation day, June 10, School Principal Scott Kaufman said the 2016-17 school year was “an exciting ride filled with ups and downs.” Life’s challenges will continue, and getting up on Monday mornings will never be easy, he said, prompting laughter from the audience.
“I wish I could stand here and tell you that you have won and the rest is easy. The reality is that your journey through the next chapter will be similar. You will have setbacks, you will have victories,” Mr. Kaufman said. “The difference is you will get better at handling these circumstances with grace and humility.”
Graduate Jordan Weintraub said Rye Lake High School was a key part of helping him get where he is today. “The advice I would give to classmates I’m leaving behind is to talk out your problems. Be realistic,” he said. “Be respectful of yourself and those around you. Find the motivation that keeps you going to get through high school and move on to greater things.
Fellow graduate Mee’ah Muhammed said she wants to study performing arts at SUNY Purchase College. “I might just start working and take a break off of school, but not too long of a break because I don’t want to forget all my school stuff,” she said.
These are the graduates and their home districts:
- Jordan Weintraub – Local Diploma – Blind Brook
- Mee’ah Muhammed – Local Diploma/CDOS (Career Development Occupational Studies) – Greenburgh
- Samantha Brame – Local Diploma – Mount Vernon
- Robert Ellison – Local Diploma/CDOS – Mount Vernon
- Paul Joseph – Local Diploma/CDOS – Mount Vernon
- Kiwuan Irizarry – Local Diploma/CDOS – Peekskill
- Lamont Bryant – Local Diploma/CDOS – Rye Neck
- Malik Bell – Regents Diploma/CDOS – Yonkers